Safeguarding and Welfare
At St Mary's CE Primary School, we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We have a number of policies and procedures in place that contribute to our safeguarding commitment, including our Child Protection Policy which can be viewed in the policies section of this website.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies when there are concerns about a child’s welfare. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with their parents/carers first unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
We actively support the Government’s Prevent Agenda to counter radicalism and extremism.
Child Protection Information:
Designated Senior Person - Mr Adrian Petty (Headteacher)
Deputy DSPs - Mrs D Bartlett (Deputy Headteacher) & Mr A Guilder (Curriculum Lead)
Safeguarding Governor - Mrs S Hoile
- All staff last accessed Child Protection (including FGM & eSafety) training in: September 2023
- There is signage around the school (including in staff areas and toilets) stating who the DSPs are
- Safeguarding is a running agenda item for Governor and SLT meetings
- Two staff are Paediatric First Aid trained (Miss R Edwards and Mrs L Ellis) and all staff had Basic First Aid training in April 2023.
- There is an automated defibrillator in school (purchased with funds donated by Defibrillators in Public Places (DiPPS) which is kept in the office
- Annual Epi-pen, Epilepsy and Asthma training is undertaken by staff via the School Nurse service
- Two staff (Mrs L Honour & Mrs J McGeady) are trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs) and run targeted Nurture sessions with children
- All staff, including MSAs and Office staff, have undertaken Hertfordshire STEPS training (Jan.2023) to ensure a consistent approach to behaviour management and support across the school