Skip to content ↓

Frequently Asked Questions


What do I do if my child is late to school?

If your child is late for school, even by a few minutes, it is vital that you go to the School Office and sign your child in.  This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security.

How do I report my child’s absence from school?

Please telephone the school on 01707 276725 as soon as possible and on each day of your child’s absence from school; we have a dedicated answering service where you can leave a message.  It is very important that you let us know your child’s symptoms so that we can monitor any possible epidemics.  Please send a letter of explanation to the school on your child’s return.

Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

No.  No holiday will be authorised during term time. Any absences (other than through illness) will be recorded as unauthorised and you may incur a fixed penalty fine and risk your child losing their place at our school.

How do I apply for a place in your school for my child?

For in year admissions you will need to apply online or contact the Admissions Team Hertfordshire County Council on 0300 123 4043 or email

How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

We use Arbor to contact all parents; please ensure you keep your account updated with current email addresses and contact numbers. You can also check our website for updates and the Hertfordshire County Council website.

What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

Parents can arrange to come into school to administer medication to their own children if necessary. We do not usually administer any medicines at school. Antibiotic doses that are administered 3 times a day should be given before and after school and at bedtime. For long-term or ongoing medication, parents are asked to complete and sign a medication request form. Children with asthma, severe allergies, etc keep their medication in the classroom; these are given by a First Aid trained member of staff. It is the parents' responsibility to make sure inhalers and epi-pens are replaced when expired.

How long before my child can return to school after an illness?

In the case of vomiting and diarrhea your child should be well for 48 hours before they return to school.  If you are unsure please call us.

What do I do if I need to see a teacher?

Teachers are normally available for brief enquiries after school. If you need a longer appointment, please contact your child’s teacher or the office staff who will be happy to arrange this for you.

Can my child bring a mobile telephone to school?

A permission letter needs to be signed by the parent for a named mobile which has been turned off and handed to a member of the office staff and collected at the end of the school day.

What should I do if my child is bullied?

Advise your child to speak to an adult in the school. This can be any member of staff that they feel comfortable with. You may also wish to support your child by talking to the teacher with your child.  We would encourage that they report any incident to the class teacher as they can observe behaviour during lessons and advise lunchtime staff as necessary. We take accusations of bullying very seriously and any incidents are dealt with appropriately and with speed. If you are concerned about your child please speak to the class teacher or Headteacher and never approach a child or the parent.

Can I park at the school?

No, the car park is for staff only. The school is situated on residential roads and we ask parents to park legally and with due consideration for our neighbours.

Can my child cycle to school?

Yes, your child can cycle if they are accompanied by an adult. If you wish your child to cycle or walk on their own we would need a permission letter from the parent with parental responsibility. Cycle shelters are provided outside the Year 2 Classroom. Please lock cycles up.

Can my child walk to school alone?

Children must be accompanied by an adult. If you wish an older child to walk to school alone we must receive a permission letter from the parent with parental responsibility.

What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.

An example of a healthy packed lunch:

No peanuts/peanut butter / Nutella / hazelnut-based chocolate spread etc. This is due to children and adults with nut allergies in our school community.

We also ask that children bring  no sweets, fizzy drinks, or chocolate (unless covering a wafer/biscuit)

What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

Parents must either sew a name label into all clothing or write the child’s name in indelible ink.  If an item goes missing your child must inform the class teacher and class teaching assistant and look in the lost property cupboard. We will do our utmost to find lost items but we are unable to provide a replacement.

When will my child start in Reception?

This will depend on their age and parental preference; usually children join Reception class in the September before their 5th birthday. Please see the school prospectus and for further advice you can speak to the school office staff.

Can my child bring toys in to school?

No, we normally discourage toys or collectables (e.g. football cards) being brought to school, unless the class teacher has specifically requested that they do. Please always check with the class teacher.

How can parents get involved?

We encourage parents to get involved in various ways from attending trips to individual reading. We have a small fundraising team “Friends of St Mary's” and would welcome new members with new ideas and contacts. If you work for a company that is able to sponsor or donate to fundraising in the school please email us.

We will require you to have an enhanced DBS check before working in the school.

Should you have a question that is not answered here, please get in contact with us.