St. Mary’s is a Church of England Voluntary Aided school catering for children from 4 to 11 years of age, providing education "according to the principles and practice of the Church of England." As with all Church schools, our school continues to be part of the maintained system of education and is operated in partnership with the Hertfordshire Local Authority and the St. Albans Diocesan Board of Education.
Our school lies on the edge of the village of Welham Green. The school is set on extensive grounds, including two playgrounds, a large field and other areas for play, making it an attractive site. The Reception class has their own secure play area.
St. Mary’s currently has around 180 pupils. Children come to us mainly from the village of Welham Green, but also Hatfield, Potters Bar and Brookmans Park. Pupils attending the school are aged between 4 and 11 years.
We also have an independent playgroup on site (Sunshine Pre-School), which caters for children from 2½ years to school age. If you want to learn more about Sunshine Pre-School, please phone Mrs Pat Bundy on 07966 461549.
- To encourage children to value themselves and to respect the beliefs, needs and feelings of others.
- To inspire children to think independently, to be positive in their outlook and to communicate well.
- To provide a safe and caring environment where achievements are celebrated and a sense of pride is encouraged.
- To develop in children an appreciation of the beauty and wonder of God’s world.
- To provide a relevant curriculum for all children to help them develop their full academic potential.
- To foster in children a sense of belonging to their local community and to widen their sense of responsibility in society.